1.01.2016

2015 Year in Review

You think I abandon this thing, but every new year, I post an update about my year in review, and a resolution post.  And if I had a kid, I'll tell you my birth story.  I have a few drafts in my queue that I never finished, I just can't stop long enough to write anything in too much detail, and by the time I get back to it, the moment has passed and I don't feel like finishing the post.  Maybe one day, I will revive the blog, but meanwhile, you will always find me on Facebook. 

 01. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
Gave birth to a boy.  I have given birth before, but to girls.  I also became a den leader to cub scouts.  Hard work but a lot of fun.  Discovered Roller Derby.  Love it, so much fun, however my life is crazy so I can't give of myself to it like I would like to. 

 02. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I always do, but rather than resolutions, I guess I'd call them goals.  Or maybe that is exactly what resolutions are?  Oh well, I find them kind of fun so yes. 

 03. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes.  Me.  Also a few friends.  And some cousins.  My sister-in-law. I know a lot of people in the baby making business apparently. 

 04. Did anyone close to you die?

 No.

 05. What countries did you visit?

We have stuck to Japan.  We never left the country for 2015. 

 6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?

  More opportunities to travel and see the sights.  2015 had its moments, but we were often stuck inside.  Three kids does a number on you.  Especially when they are all young. 

 07. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

May 1st.  I had a baby.  Those days are etched in your memories forever.   

 08. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Having a baby I guess.  Becoming a mom to three and not completely losing my sanity.  But I have come pretty close.  I also got Christmas cards out and my life is slowly getting more organized.  I notice when I have goals or little milestones I shoot for, I feel better.  I started Roller Derby, but haven't really advanced much through it. Hopefully that will change this year.  Getting a handle on Cub Scouts.  Lots of things.  Busy busy.  Keeping myself busy is good for me. 

 09. What was your biggest failure?

Being overcome with mom fatigue has made me a bit of a party pooper at times.  I have also lost my temper a few times and I immensely regret it afterward.  A lot of my failures seem to revolve around being a mom.  I'm glad my kids are so forgiving.  The neighbors might not be so, however.

 10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I had a baby.  Recovering from that counts. 

 11. What was the best thing you bought?

A motor home.  A tiny pintsized motorhome that my daughter calls a "Camping Car", so we can go see more of Japan.  Now we have to find our groove with it.  I wish we could ship this thing back home, it is seriously awesome.  More adventures await us in 2016!

 12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
  Can I just say that USAA rocks?  Well, it does!  I'm a fan of this company. 

 13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
  A certain tenant in our rental back home.  I will not go into detail, that scenario is still playing out.  But it was very hair raising for a little bit.

 14. Where did most of your money go?
A motor home.  Actually a lot of thought went into this purchase.  We think we can find a way to get most of our money back out of it when we leave here.

 15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Having a baby boy.  Going to Tokyo, which didn't play out like we wanted it to. 

 16. What songs will always remind you of 2015?
I avoid current music when I can.   2015 seemed to have really bad music for some reason.  And I'm not huge in following music, 

 17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?

I would have to say I was doing pretty well last year this time and I feel the same this year.

 ii. Thinner or fatter?

Thinner.  Last year I was pregnant. 

iii. Richer or poorer?

Poorer for having purchased a motor home, but richer in the experiences it will hopefully bring.  Truthfully, we are ok. 

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Given hugs. 

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
 Yelled at my kids. 

 20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quiet morning at home with the family.  We then went to the water park and went swimming with some friends.  Then we came home and had a sodium soaked ham. 

 22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
Yes, with a little boy named Corbin.

23. Favorite Month 0f 2015
 May was a good month.  I'm going with May.  July was pretty sweet too, though it had a hiccup in there. 

 24. What were your favourite TV programs?

I discovered Doctor Who, but seriously, with kids I didn't get a good chance to really discover Doctor Who, because I would totally get into it.  Kids prevent me so far from it.  I'm digging My Little Pony and Phineas and Ferb, so glad Netflix finally released season 4. 

 25. Did you have a falling out with anyone that remains unresolved?

Actually, yes.  Long story, it's a somewhat distant family member who is a Social Justice Warrior, it involved Facebook and the year where everyone became offended over everything.  I'm a little irked it played out the way it did, anyway, she went on a tirade and I trolled her for it.  I probably should have just out and told her that her method of persuasion was less than persuasive, anyway, not sure if any other cousins appreciated my blunt method.  Oh well, if I see her at a family reunion in the future, I'm sure we'll talk, but not counting on her showing up, as she doesn't seem to particularly care for the family.  not sure if I will either for that matter, though I would love too.    

 26. What was the best book you read?
I didn't read much in the way of books, but I have been trying to refocus my life this year.  Do kids books count?  I'm going to go with The Book with No Pictures. 

 27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
  Lindsey Stirling, I love her!

 28. What did you want and get?

A healthy baby boy and a motor home

 29. What did you want and not get?

We wanted to move out of the Towers.  It didn't happen.  So we adapted and overcame.   I'm ok with it now.  I also want to get better at roller skating but that requires me practicing more.  So that one is on me,

 30. What was your favourite film of this year?

I guess I liked Inside Out and Star Wars, The Force Awakens.  I didn't see a whole lot of movies this year, but I'm a big enough Star Wars Fan that we had to see it before the spoilers seeped out. 

 31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 35.  It was quiet, and unfortunately, an earlier incident kind of ruined it for me.  It wasn't Gus's fault, but he sort of spaced it.  But as you get older, birthdays are less important. 

 32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I didn't yell at my kids so much, and if they wouldn't push my buttons like they do. 

 33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Nothing has changed. Nothing.  My personal fashion concept remains forever unchanged, I am completely and utterly predictable in this area.  Most of the time, I go out with no make up.  I reserve that for special occasions, though my kids are working it over so soon I won't have the paltry handful of items I currently possess. 

 34. What kept you sane?
Church.  Church keeps me sane.  I find kindred spirits there, and it is a place of renewal and reflection.  My social network in Misawa mostly surrounds my church friends. 

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
When I see this question every year, I blank out, seriously. 

 36. What political issue stirred you the most?
 This next year is going to be a doozy.  Anyway, the appeal of Donald Trump I guess.  I do not get him.  2016 is going to be a circus. 

 37. Who/what did you miss?
 Family back home.  My mom did come visit for a month.  So did my mother in law.  I still miss them.  Also, I miss my horse. 

 38. Who was the best new person you met?
A little boy named Corbin.  Also made some great friends in Church. 

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
 You choose your attitude.  In the year of the perpetually offended, you have to choose your own reactions.  I choose not to take offense.  It has served me well.

 40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Hello"  I'm going with that one.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I couldn't help but comment, which is ironic considering what I want to say. Your falling out with a distant cousin, you say it irks you how it played out, but you trolled her page and a post on her page having to do with something she is passionate about (whether you agree or not). You didnt have to comment. You should apologize to her. Don't troll family lady! Take the adult step and squash that beef before you even have to run into her.

Side note: I always like reading your yearly reviews.

Risawn said...

I actually didn't troll her on her page (we were never facebook friends), she responded to a post on my dad's facebook, and so I trolled her in defending him. I get where she was coming from, but she acted like a little harpie. I won't apologize for what I did to her, because she was doing far worse by getting way over sensitive about anything and everything and basically wrote off most of her family. Anyway, she has basically soured a lot of relationships and has been a thorn in the side of her parents from what I hear. I barely know her. I doubt we will have run ins in the future.