Every year without fail, I post my goals for the prior year, how I did, and then what I am looking forward to the next year. I may not post anything else all year, but I post this. How'd I do?
1. Natural Childbirth - Done and done. In a hospital, minimal interventions, I was satisfied with the experience. Seriously, I can do labor no problem. I don't like the 9 months working up to it.
2. Organize my Life/ Set up guest room - We'll give this an amber. I don't think my life will ever truly be organized, but we did have a functioning guestroom for the summer.
3. One big trip Once a Quarter - Another part way. We made it to Tokyo and the trip there and back was quite the adventure. Tokyo itself however...well, lessons learned. It was the only big trip we did this year, but it was enough.
3.1. Mini trips once a month in summer- Kawarage, Tsugaru and Star Wars with Rice Art and Nebuta, we had at least one trip a month this summer. And don't forget Tokyo!
3.2. Major Festivals Year Round - Hirosaki Snow Lanterns, Misawa Tanabata, Aomori Nebuta, and a couple other little ones. I might not have seen the really big ones that I wanted to, but I'll call this one a success.
4. Run - This one is far more red than green. Well, I did run, somewhat. But with very little consistency. Seriously, that third kid. Love him though.
4.1 Base Races - Big fat fail. I didn't do one.
5. Live the Title Soccer Mom - For the first half of the year, I did. Second half, forget it. Talk about exhausting. Kaia is doing Preschool though.
6. Potty Training - Halfway there. Kaia is trained. Ashlyn is not. She is ready though, I just have to commit to it.
7. Preparedness - I should give myself a little credit. It isn't as bad as it could be. This is important enough to make it a repeat resolution though. Well, we do have a motorhome now...
8. DA Photo / Military Biography - Who am I kidding? I'm not doing squat with anything to do with my military career while I am over here. Still, I would like to update my DA photo.
9. Hire a Mamasan - Done, they are life savers, and it is nice to have a clean house every two weeks, even if it lasts a couple of hours.
9.1. Keep the house between Mamasan visits - Haha! This should just be rephrased to handling kiddos better. That is a goal for 2016.
10. Prepare to Go to the Temple - I am actually making good strides here. I shall continue to head in that direction. Maybe 2016 will be my year?
So, what are the goals for 2016? We'll start with the repeats.
1. Potty training - Ashlyn is on deck, and she is really close. I'll call it a success if I can get her trained before her third birthday. I don't want to push her too much though, that stresses both of us out, but this would be awesome.
2. Preparedness - That means getting our paperwork straight in the event of an emergency and we have to be shipped out of here. Also, 72 hour kits, and water. I would like to think we have two weeks worth of food. Its difficult to stock more than that.
3. Travel, Travel, Travel - We have a motorhome and we aren't afraid to use it! This does involve planning out trips though. We got a couple planned for down south, plus those long weekends to take advantage of. We are learning through trial and error. Yes, this is in line with #3 above.
3.1. All Japan Fireworks Festival - This year. We will do it
3.2. Sapparo - Maybe, and likely via Ferry. In conjunction with temple open house would be awesome. Otherwise, Snow Festival.
3.3. Tokyo - Tentative date of June. We have family visiting, also possibly friends.
3.4. Southern Honshu - Because why not? That requires a lot of preplanning though.
4. Temple - This year, I hope to make this happen. If not, at least continue in that direction so it can happen next year.
5. Birthdays - Without going into too much detail, I want to acknowledge birthdays in ways other than a facebook greeting to siblings and niblings. I've been planning this for a while, this year, I will make it happen.
6. Limit Political Talk - Nothing brings people closer than talking politics, hah! Anyone who knows me well knows I'm a bit of a political junkie. I follow current events closely and I feel like I stay reasonably informed. Plus, this is an election year. However, nothing gets me riled up quite like politics, and the desire for the last word. One simple way to avoid this is to avoid talking politics in the first place. Well, I can't promise that, it's a presidential election year after all. So I'm limiting myself to one facebook post a month on politics. Maybe link those to the blog, maybe. I'm not going to engage other people on their facebook pages, if people get too political I will probably simply unfollow them. I do not have the time right now to get riled up. I have three kids I have to chase.
7. Pass my MSTs - Roller Derby related. I need to pass my minimal skills test, which requires me to skate more, which requires me to practice, well, you get the idea. Passing my MSTs forces me to do those other things. I would like to put a hard date, like maybe this summer or something, but depending on life in general, I might just consider myself lucky if I pass them by year's end.
8. Organize the chaos - my life is chaos, hopefully I can yell less while I'm at it. This includes getting the kids on a schedule, because when we are on a schedule, everyone is happy. Sticking to the schedule can be trying.
8.1 - Limit my phone/facebook/social media time - Maybe give myself a limit a day, because wow, what a time suck. I can't ditch it entirely though, because that's how people contact me. And that's how I stay in contact with friends and family back home. But aimlessly surfing the web, though it is how I keep up to date, can be a time suck too. Really cut back in that area.
9. Summer Reading Program - I signed up for it last year, but we didn't do it. It was just to much for me. I like the idea though, so I'm going to try to get it done with the girls this year. And Corbin too. Might as well. These kinds of things put me on a schedule, which is a good thing.
10. Family Pics and Christmas Cards - I got them out last year, I want to try again this year. And get them out in a timely fashion. Anyway, its a good excuse for taking family pictures.
11. Get the Creative Juices Flowing - This could be in the way of art, writing, or photography. I did a month long photo challenge last month and loved it, I need to do those more often, which kind of gets me into sub resolutions. I really want to just take my camera out with me and get better pictures of what we are seeing and doing.
11.1 Participate in some kind of monthly challenge every other month - I did one for December, so we'll stick to even numbered months. This could be a photo a day type thing with a prewritten list, or even some kind of sketch challenge or something. I can do more than every other month, but I'll try to stick to a minimum of one a month.
11.2. Draw! - Once upon a time, when I was a wee child, I thought myself an artist. I just need to pick up a sketch pad every once in a while and draw again. I'm leaving this vague, if I can draw regularly, I'll consider myself a success in this endeavor.
11.3 - Learn a new skill - I don't know what yet, but something crafty, or artsy. Maybe knitting?
11.4 - Write a Children's Book - I have a couple ideas, I should knock them out while my children are still children.
11.5. Deviantart - Document the above. . .
12. Family Home Evening - This is a Mormon thing. I want to be consistent with it. My kids are getting to an age where they would benefit from it too.
13. Child-bearing ultimatum - are we or aren't we done? This year we shall know for sure. Because once we are sure we are done, there isn't going to be any more happy little accidents, if you get my meaning.
14. Work out - mostly run, but I'll keep it vague. Hey, it's new year's! What resolution list is complete without the desire to get into shape! Round is a shape.
So that's enough. Looks like if I do it, I'm going to be pretty busy. But I think 2016 is going to be a good year.