3.18.2008

Road Trips and Best Friends

Over the weekend I went on a road trip down to Utah to visit some friends and family that live down that way. Well, I guess I had other intentions involved, I was trying to set my brother up with one of my best friends who I have known since Kindergarten. Well, things didn't quite click with them the way I would have preferred, but we had our friend get together and its strange how we have years between times we see each other but then we get together and it's like we've never been apart, and we talk with each other like we see each other every day.

I don't know what it is about old friends, but I have discovered that they are one of those things that you treasure. I only have a handful of friends that I can talk to like that, where its like nothing has changed except we've grown older.

For some reason, it is very difficult for me to keep friends. I make friends fairly easily enough, but keeping in contact with them or maintaining that friendship is especially difficult. It is something that both sides have to work to maintain, and it is harder as you grow older. Which is truly a pity really. I wish I was better at making and keeping friends, but I'm very grateful for the handful of friends I have managed to keep.

Meanwhile, the Road Trip was a nice break from the monotony of my life. I stayed with my sister and her rambunctious kids and had a few bonding moments with her, and realized that I do have the potential to be domesticated. I visited with my Aunt Nora and saw some of my cousins who I haven't seen in ages and realized just how much everyone has grown. It boggles me at times, I wish there wasn't such large gaps between these get togethers with friends and family.

Of course, there was the triple date where I was set up with a guy, who was really cool but unfortunately triple dates are more of a group get together with a lack of one on one interaction so I didn't get to know him that well. Three hours of rock band made it a fun night though :)

I have a feeling after my mob this summer that I will be attempting to move down to Utah and perhaps focus on the non existent career, take a break from trying to get ahead with the army, though I admit that it has been a great help in my life financially and in other ways. But I am feeling the need to work on other aspects, settle down and possibly work on other things.

I'm just grateful that there are friends and family in this world. Really, what would I do without them?

No comments: