12.12.2008

DC - Post the Third

Day six - October thirdish. And my third day in DC.

Yeah, I haven't finished my Leave Speech. And I can't think of anything else to blog about in my very boring life right now. So I'll blog about the more exciting part of the year.

This day, I decided to plan out my trips on the metro and bought a pass to cover the trips I would take. It worked like a charm.

First: White House



I went straight to the white house this morning to get some pics and a view of it. I didn't tour, because apparently getting a tour through the white house grounds these days requires a three month RSVP or something. So I got a pic from a distance.

Saw the white house. Got a picture of me looking disheveled (I'm on the road, that's my excuse). Moving on to the next matter of business.

Second: WWII Monument

The WWII monument recently got dedicated a few years ago, and the main concern was making it so it didn't spoil the reflecting pool and the view of the Washington Monument from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.



There is a lot of symbolism involved in this memorial. One side represents the European Theater, one side represents the Pacific Theater. Each pillar represents a state. There are different battles etched in the granit around the fountains on the side.





Found my state. You don't think I'm desecrating the monument by climbing up here, do you?

Third: Signers of the Declaration of Independence

This is a memorial off the beaten path. Myself and one other person were the only ones there when I visited it, and pictures truly do not do it justice.



That's Mr Ben Franklin's autograph etched in stone. I wish I got a better photograph, but it means more in person. I could have probably gotten some better pictures on an overcast day.

Fourth: Vietnam Memorial, Again.

I visited the Vietnam Memorial two days previous. But I didn't get a good chance to really see it then, as it was getting dark, and i wanted to get some pictures of it.



It is a very somber place to visit, I remember studying it in Art Class and the symbolism involved, how it is a place for vets to come and reflect. The sheer quantity of names on the wall is a little numbing itself.



Remind me to burn that shirt when i get a chance.



Fifth: Lincoln Memorial, Again

Like the Vietnam Memorial, I had visited the Lincoln memorial again as well.



The pictures I took of myself were better then.

Sixth: Korean War memorial



The Korean Memorial is not as famous as the Vietnam memorial, but like it, there is a lot of reflective symbolism. There are images etched into the carving, and the statues reflect in it.



It has a near mirror affect.



Seventh: FDR Memorial

Yes, today was Monument Day. I just walked around the mall looking at the different monuments. Word to the wise, wear a comfortable pair of walking shoes.

The FDR memorial uses a lot of symbolism in regards to waterfalls to represent the different parts of FDR's presidency. As you may know, FDR was President during the Depression and WWII, and he's the only president to serve four terms.



Without showing you the mass amounts of waterfalls in the memorial, I'll show you the final, which is the most impressive display. It is a pretty neat memorial to walk through. I recommend having somebody with you, so you can take stupid pictures of yourself. It's hard to do that when it's just you and a tripod.


The final monument of FDR and his dog. Seeing me next to the dog will give you an idea of how large this statue is.

Eighth: Jefferson monument

This monument is a bit off the beaten path, instead of directly on the mall. But it is still definitely worth a visit.



While walking toward it, I saw an albino squirrel. I had the wrong lens to get a really good shot of it.



Inside the monument is a statue of Jefferson.



It's a big statue. Lot's of etchings on the wall to go with it.



And of course, the neo classical architecture that is symbolic of DC.



I tried to get a shot of the monument from across the water, but as you can see, it is quite shady over there, which is pretty much makes for not the best of picture taking experiences. Yeah, I'm still learning this camera.

Ninth: Holocaust Museum (warning: Powerful and very depressing! This place will rip your heart to shreds!)

I don't have any pictures of the Holocause museum, mainly because pictures aren't allowed. But this is a must visit for any history enthusiest and anybody else in general. It pretty much details the history of the holocaust from the very beginnings to experiences of the survivors today. Give yourself at least two hours to tour through it. It takes at least that long to just walk through it without reading every little piece. Plenty of videos, lots of information about Hitler's eugenics program and kind of shows how a rational group of people can be brainwashed into thinking Genicide is ok.

If you go to DC, this museum is a must visit. And whats more, it is completely free.

Tenth: Washington Monument. . . Sort of

img src="http://www.risawn.com/blog/leave/dc61.jpg" width="315">


Ok, I didn't actually go to the Washington Monument. You have to get a pass to go to it, and they go quickly. What's more, i didn't get there early enough to get one. But you can see the monument from all corners of the mall.



From the whitehouse.



In front of the Licoln Memorial.



the Jefferson memorial.

To name a few. It is an iconic figure, you can't help but notice it everywhere you go, and of course, it is one of the most recognizeable monuments in DC.



My parting shot from the mall, on the lawn, with the smithsonian and the Capital in the back ground. Then I hopped on the metro and headed to my last destination of the day.

Eleventh: International Spy Museum

Yes, the international Spy Museum. One of the few museums you actually have to pay to see. But it is well worth a visit, though can be skipped if you are on a time constraint.

Watch out for China Town. And don't get to turned around. Er. Hehe.

Not the best location in DC, there was a street preacher just outside the metro entrance telling how evil the white man was and what was owed in retributions, and all sorts of nonsense. I didn't linger long.

the Spy Museum is another such place where pictures aren't allowed, so I'll link to it. Definitely worth a visit if you have the time. But it is easy to get museumed out when visiting DC. But I still had a little time left.

Twelfth: National Portrait Gallery.

It was basically a portrait museum, and is directly across from the International spy Museum. I wandered through the first floor for a moment. If you are an art lover, I guess its worth a peak, but by all means not the highlight of my trip. I'm not much of a portrait art fan.

The one museum I really wanted to visit was the Museum of American History, but it was closed for renovation. If I make it back to DC in the near future, I will be sure to pay it a visit.

While there was still daylight left, I made it back to my car and got on the road to my next destination. Which was Philidelphia. I'll try to post about that later.

No comments: