12.31.2008

2008 Year in Review

My traditional list of questions, I've been doing this for a few years now. I need to maybe ad a few questions, but we'll see.

01. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
I went skydiving and caving. Maybe next year I'll get bungee jumping in there?

02. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'll make new years resolutions again, of course, but I don't think I did to hot on them this year. There were other factors contributing to my lack of resolution keeping. I'll cover this more in a blog post in the next few days.

03. Did anyone close to you give birth?
two sisters gave birth. So two nieces joined the family.

04. Did anyone close to you die?
*thinks for a moment* Of course, there are always the celebrity deaths. But I can't think of anybody close to me.

05. What countries did you visit?
None this year. How about states? Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, DC, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Missouri, Montana, Idaho and Ohio (for about two miles, just to say I went there).

06. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A chain of command that will give me a chance on the trail instead of removing me to 'protect' me? That would be bloody Fan-freakin'-tastic!

07. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 30th. It was the date that my heart was ripped from my chest and then pounded mercilessly into ground, gorged through with a bayonet and then crapped upon and flushed down the toilet, all hypothetically of course. I don't think i have ever been that depressed before or since. Not a good day, by the way.

Also, September 22nd, I jumped out of an Airplane.

08. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Jumping out of an Airplane and seeing DC and New York. September and October were my ways of coming to terms with what a totally shitty experience this summer was for me, and completely redeemed the year.

09. What was your biggest failure?
My reaction to having my heart torn out of my chest, gorged with a knife and crapped upon. It kind of took me by surprise and because of how I reacted, pretty much in a stupor and being a girl, a bit emotional, I don't think my COC ever trusted me to do what I wanted more then anything to do. And that's be a Drill Sergeant. Which I'm pretty confident I can do if somebody will throw me a freakin' bone and give me a chance. And being stuck with a couple privates, there were a few failures on my part that I don't think would have happened if I wasn't put in that position. But you live and learn, huh? I certainly learned.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Surprise surprise, no. My knee started bothering me again, but overall, this was not a year for injuries. But I've still got seven hours to go.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I guess an Xbox 360 and rockband. And a Taurus Judge. And my DSLR camera. Everything else is just stuff.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
You know, nobody stands out in my head this year. I always have difficulty answering this question.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My Chain of Command. And literally, they sent me into depression. Several times. But suffering from disthymia, that's actually not that hard to do.

14. Where did most of your money go?
This is a good question that someday I would like to discover. But I think bills and insurance, and junk. Lotsa junk. And Leave.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Fort Knox. I was extremely excited about being at Fort Knox up until about, oh, May 29th. My excitement completely disappeared the next day.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2008?
Holy crap, there were songs on the radio all of the time. That one blatant sex song comes to mind, I don't know what its called, but going down on me between the sheets sounds pretty sexually explicit to me. And the times I had Joes in the vehicle with me when I had the radio on and that song came on, it was always 'oops, change the channel' until I was told to make sure the radio was off completely.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Hmm, I'm pretty content right now. But I think I was happier last year.

ii. Thinner or fatter?
Probably thinner. But i was more fit last year.

iii. Richer or poorer?
I would say its close to a draw. But at this moment, probably richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Spelunking. And run. And work out.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wallowed in self pity.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At the parents. we played Rockband a bit, and watched Bedtime Stories at the theater. Opened presents. the whole spiel.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I'm incapable of that emotion. But its a goal for 2009.

23. How many one night stands?

24. What were your favourite TV programs?
I don't really watch TV, but robot chicken, Lost, and Avatar (whcih finally finished.)

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I try not to hate on anybody. I get mad as all hell and frustrated, but hate is a strong word.

26. What was the best book you read?
Very little reading was done this year. But a lot of writing.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Katie Perry I guess. Her music is just catchy. Even that lesbian song.

28. What did you want and get?
A chance to jump out of a perfectly good airplane? An Xbox?

29. What did you want and not get?
Trail time.

30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Probably The Dark Knight.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My birthday was not a huge deal this year, and I've noticed that becoming par with birthdays now. Something about the older you get I guess. I turned 28.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Trail time. Noticing a trend here? That was three solid months of frustration.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
I have no fashion concept. For a good six months, it was ACUs and a Drill Sergeant Hat. Lately, I wear a scarf a lot. I think in cool weather, it will be a part of my attire from here on out.

34. What kept you sane?
I wasn't. But leave did help.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Sarah Palin. Love her.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
There was a Presidential Election going on this year. What do you think? And yes, I get heavily involved in politics.

37. Who did you miss?
My sanity.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Er, I'm not sure. I met a lot of new people this year. Do any of them stand out? Not yet? Give me a few months and I'll let you know.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
All Privates are dirtbags. Important life lesson for any DS Wannabe. And until I get more trail time, that's what I feel like I am.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"so now I earn my living killing the baby seals."

No comments: