4.20.2005

Kajukenbo

I did my first Martial Arts class last night, which i learned is available every Tuesday and Thursday. Its called Kajukenbo and includes a lot of hand movements, punching, kicking and screaming "KE-YAH!" a lot.

Its also a lot of fun.

I discovered that I need to get more comfortable with the form, as getting back in the cat stance sometimes feels a little awkward, but I think once I get a feeling for it, maybe I can actually pick it up.

Apparently, Kajukenbo is a hybrid martial art form taking aspects from Karate, Judo and Jujitsu, Kenpo and Gung Fu. When I was in Jr High, I took a few classes of Tae Kwan Do (the first few lessons of that instructor were free) and had a blast and always wanted to do Martial Arts afterward. I wish now that I would have been able to take it, as I think I would have really enjoyed it.

Anyway, an instructor who is a third degree black belt of Kajukenbo is in Kosovo and he offered to teach troops the art for free. He wants to get us into a different uniform then the standard PT uniform and we have permission to wear it when we're in class and I'm thinking "an excuse to get out of army clothes when I'm not in my room? Cool! Sign me up!"

Of course, I'll have to buy the clothes, but meanwhile, until we leave here, and the few times I'm interrupted by leave and FMPP dates, I will be taking Kajukenbo. When I get home, I might see if I can find another instructor or just try to get into some other class in the martial arts field and go from there. If nothing else, it is a great way to get in shape.

No comments: