5.22.2005

Greece, Day Three: Philippi Part I

3 down, one day to go. And I took a bunch of pictures in Philippi so I think this one will have to be sectioned off into two parts. And it will likely turn more into a picture show with me narrating now and again.

Wednesday was completely devoted to Philippi. Philippi is in ruins now, but it is quoted extensively in ACTS 16 of the New Testament. Specifically, they talk about two places in Philippi, the Prison and the Lydia's Baptismal font.

I got to visit both, along with some kick butt ancient ruins! I've always wanted to visit ancient ruins, and this was my chance!

We got to Philippi around 9 in the morning, and we first made our way to the ampitheater.

That's my shoddy excuse of putting pictures together to get a panoramic effect. I once did the same thing to my bedroom. (unfortunately I don't know what happened to that image, I think it went down the same time my website crashed last September)

Anyway, here we had a bit of a history lesson, learning about Philippi and what kinds of cool and gnarly things happened here back during the battle of Philippi in 53 BC. Also, Philippi is named after King Philip, who was the father of Alexander the Great.



Of course, I had to get a picture of me in the Ampitheater.



And in various different poses within it.



Ok, a majority of these pictures have me in them. I was constantly passing around the camera for photographs, although I did take a lot of pictures of the surroundings. As well as video. I had my video camera on me, I was constantly tape recording around these parts.


Columns! Actually, I think these columns were recently restored or something, becuase I was looking at pictures of Philippi taken in the past through books and stuff I was looking through and these weren't there. But I still thought they were hella cool!

Philippi provoked a childhood instinct within me. If it was there, Climb it. So I was all over this place exploring. And I saw one or two pillars just standing there asking for me to stand on them and pose. Kind of going in to terms with my Internet Patron War Goddess or something, I couldn't resist.



And then, there was the first piece of architecture directly quoted right out of the Bible.
And the multitude rose up together against them: and the magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat [them].
And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast [them] into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely:
Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks.
And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.
And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.
~KJV : ACTS CH 16 V 22-28


I present to you, Paul's Prison.



Behind me is a mountain, which sits the Acropolis of Philippi. Going back to my motto of the day, if its there, climb it, I headed up the side and started checking out the scenery. It was pretty awesome.


That would be Philippi in the background, or whats left of it.

Still climbing, we got on top of the Mountain and took a good look around, and started taking lots of pictures. To include the buildings behind us, which back in the time of Paul, would have been a kind of look out tower to keep an eye open for the enemy. Or whoever. We just ended up walking up there and goofing off for the next hour and a half, or so.



My next destination, just behind me.



The following picture is the highest point of the acropolis. We had people climbing on top of this thing, yet for once, I didn't heed my motto and maintained a safe altitude within it. I had a shaky grasp and I didn't want to risk falling here. The climb up to this thing wears you out.

But if I get another chance to make it back to Greece (very strong possibility) I'll be sure to have another go and then I will climb on top.

Me and some of my Battle Buddies crawling around the forementioned entrance. They started stripping of their shirts, (to be a guy) yet later they were all pretty red so I didn't feel so bad :)

And you can see somebody in the background climbing around.


Just because I didn't climb to the very top of the Acropolis, didn't mean i didn't climb it!


You see that little tiny window on the picture up there? This is it, and that's me posing in front of it. I look nice, red, hot and sweaty. Ick. It was a warm day.


That is not Philippi in the distance. Just a town that borders Philippi called Krinides. But this is an example of the view. Though it was a bit hazy.


Yes, I conquered this mountain! Me! Take heed in the beautiful view that surrounds this ancient rock!


And down in the distance, sitting on the dome of the rock, is the banner of Greece fluttering in the breeze. My next destination.

They don't seem to have the same etiquette for their flags as we do ours. Still, it is an awesome site!

Flag poles are not exempt from my motto.

Next up: Philippi, Part II, the ruins themselves. To come shortly to a website near you!

No comments: