3.28.2006

Viva La Raza???

An Ironic thing happened while we were in Pasco Washington. My dad and I were in the car at the emergency room and listening to Rush Limbaugh. The subject today was the current issue with Bush and his Immigration policy and the stink its currently causing in Washington. Now, I'll admit, I'm not exactly sure how I stand on this issue, especially concerning illegal immigration as I'm sort of confused on how Bush is standing on it. I'm not sure I entirely agree with him for one. If people want to come to America to work and make a better life for themselves, I'm all for that. As long as they aren't looking for a free hand out of course, and they go about the right way of gaining citizenship.

Anyway, low and behold, in the middle of the conversation on Rush, about 300 kids marched by, waving Mexican flags, honking their horns, holding signs in spanish and basically protesting HR-4437. I'm listening to this on the Radio, I'm watching it pass by, and I'm hearing all sorts of points of views on the topic and it occurred to me that I really didn't know anything about this.

Hearing about it, and seeing it occur right before my eyes, I decided to get my trusty camera out and document it. As I soon discovered that this was occuring all over the nation.

I noticed these were all high school kids. Before I took pictures, I made sure it was ok to take their picture. These kids didn't seem to mind, they were all over it, glad to pose and show off their mexican spirit.















So I did my research on this Immigration Reform Bill HR 4437.

From all appearances, it appears to be a Bill cracking down on Illegal Immigration. Now, this to me sounds like a good thing, as I've lived in California and have witnessed first hand how illegal immigrants come into our country and take advantage of the system without giving anything back in return. I do have a lot of respect for immigrants who come here who are hard workers looking for a way to support their families and live the American dream.

But what baffled me is that this propisition seems to crack down on illegal immigrants, so as to toughen our borders and protect our country. Immigration is a good thing, as long as its done properly.

That being said, I couldn't help but think 'what's with the mexican flags?' These kids are trying to encourage immigration, the point of immigration is to leave one country and enter another. If they are so bent on displaying Mexican pride, why don't they go back to Mexico? Why are they waving a Mexican Flag in their protest to being able to live and get the benefits of being in America? You are in America now. Embrace the fact that you want to be American and you are demonstrating your rights to gain citizenship in America, or whatever your demonstrating. If you are so proud of being Mexican, waving your Mexican flag, you need to make a decision on which country you want to call home.

It seems to be a bit of an oxymoron. Of course, their excuse seems to be that America took this land away from them to begin with, so we're occupying their land.

In regards to that, for some reason, a quote from Buffy the Vampire Slayer seems to say it best, said by none other then Spike.
"You won, alright? You came, you killed them, you took their land. That's what conquering nations do. That's what Ceaser did, and he's not going around saying 'I came, I conquered, I felt really bad about it.'
"The history of the world is not people making friends. You had better weapons, and you massacred them, end of story"

-Episode 4.8 Pangs


Granted, he was discussing Indians in that episode, and being a Vampire, his language is a bit blunt but it kind of says the same thing. Honestly, who has rights to any place based on what happened a century ago anymore? Laws change, boundaries change, and right now, a bunch of Illegal Immigrants want to claim that we are taking advantage of their homeland (though most Hispanics also have Spanish Origins, and you want to hear something about conquering nations taking over lands). I'm sorry, it doesn't cut with me. The USA is not the United States of Mexico. This is America now, Mexico lost, America gained a bunch of land. Deal with it.

I did see one Mexican, standing on a corner, waving an American flag and wearing a Navy Uniform. Right on, Dude. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of him.

I wanted to get a better idea of other opinions, so I did a search on what the blogs are saying about the subject, preferably from a well rounded view point.

I appear to be behind on the issue, as its been in discussion for a few days now. Where've I been?

Latino Issues voiced similar concerns as my own on the subject, especially considering that this is a Hispanic American.
Michelle Malkin
Ankle Biting Pundits has this to say
I must say I agree with Gaypatriot on this whole matter
Riehl World View
Blogbat
Jimmy Akin
Kind of a commentary featuring various points of view from Nashville is Talking
Blogs for Bush Offers this Explanation. Followed up by what Bush has to say on the circumstances here. Further explored here.
Guess I'm a racist too
Lorie Byrd over on Polipundit makes a clarification on what about the 'Jobs that nobody wants' makes them so appealing to Immigrant workers. Its not that Americans don't want them, they just can't work them at the wages Immigrants work for.
An interesting Map dealing with Net Immigration

MySpace seems to have had a huge impact on what's going on, but this doesn't exactly tell me the whole issue. It just makes a kid who was involved look woefully ignorant of the facts. And he appears to be very uneducated by this rant of his.

It's a hot topic over in LiveJournal, I found a few various opinions on the whole matter from different viewpoints. A lot were kids, about the same age group that appears to be demonstrating.
In Texas, another viewpoint on the whole School Walk out.
One student has mixed opinions

So, cut in dry, what are my viewpoints on immigration and this whole issue? America is made up of Immigrants. I have no problem with Immigration, done Legally! You are on American Soil. If you are so proud of Mexico, go back to Mexico. I don't want anybody in America that wishes this country were still a part of another. Don't dwell on the past and think of what is supposed to be right.

Do people honestly believe that California would be a better place if it was still under Mexico anyway? Though honestly, its getting to a point where I would soon as say Mexico can have it back.

I think I'm kind of into the whole blogging thing again. . . though this rant seems a bit incoherant on my part.

No comments: