10.14.2008

Chincoteague and Assateage

Day Three, Tuesday September 30

When I was a young girl, my favorite author was Margaret Henry. She is well known for her books on horses, and one of her most popular is a book called Misty of Chincoteague.


I was a horse nut, had a bit of an obsession really, and had always wanted to see Chincoteague Island since I read the book.

Though I have outgrown the horse phase (don't get me wrong, I still love horses, but its not to the point of unhealthy obsession I had as a preteen), I've still wanted to visit Chincoteague Island.

Well, there are ponies everywhere, but you have to go to Assateague Island to see them.

I went early in the morning and toured a bit. And forgot to put on bug spray.

Big mistake. The mosquitoes are particularly vicious. Of course, on the Chincoteague side of Assateague, I didn't see many ponies on the island. I did however, see a lot of bugs, mainly spiders. So I tried getting shots of them while i got eaten alive by mosquitos.

I need to find out what kind of spider this is.

But aside from the ponies, and the spiders, there are a lot of birds on Assateague Island.



I just played with my camera mostly. And no, I didn't get a whole lot of pictures of myself. Unless you count the pics of myself I took with my snap. (as soon as I can find that camera, which I have misplaced, I will show pictures)

There was, of course, the Assateague Island Lighthouse, and being a fan of Lighthouses, I wanted to get some pics, except for it was under renovation. I think.



The Maryland side offered more wild ponies, if by wild you mean ponies that will walk right up to you and pass you by without a care in the world.



I really did like Assateague Island, and of course, the pony shots, which I felt like I got a few. I want to take some of these through Photoshop and mess with them a bit.

Wildlife Pics.







No comments: